Data Protection legislation has been in force in the EU since the late 1990s to protect how data held on individuals is stored and shared by organisations and computer systems.
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Directive came into force 25th May 2018 – superseding the previous Data Protection legislation. It further protects and empowers EU citizens’ data privacy and aims to reshape the way organisations consider data privacy.
For the CCTV Industry; responsibility for adherence to GDPR legislation rests with the entire vendor supply chain, the CCTV Integrator and all the way through to the end-user organisation collecting, storing and administering user data.
Cyber Security is an extensive subject, resulting in a Consulting industry dedicated to it, and covering the subject in great detail is outside the scope of this information; which is intended to only assist the CCTV Installer in hardening current Vista products and raise awareness of the more immediate Cyber considerations. References to other Cyber Security reading resources are provided below:
Latest Notices & Alerts
- 2018-08-14 Vista: Viper range new firmware – Important AVI export NVR\DVR hang issue resolved …. more
- 2018-06-29 Microsoft: Spectre & Meltdown latest (Win7, 10, Server 2012 R2 etc) …. more
- 2018-06-12 – Microsoft: release addition security updates and anti-malware. Apply via regular MS Update Client… more
Vista Firmware and Software Updates
- Keep your Vista product up to date and secure with the latest…. downloads
- Also keep your Xeno products up to date as well…. downloads
Microsoft Windows features in several Vista’s CCTV solutions and is used extensively throughout the CCTV Industry. Keep abreast of Microsoft updates and alerts by using the following resources:
- Sign-up to Microsoft Updates Notification and receive e-mail or RSS news feeds for security and update alerts…. read more
- Sign-up to Microsoft Updates Notification and receive e-mail or RSS news feeds according to chosen Windows OS Version…. read more
- Microsoft Security Updates Guide…. read more
Other Useful Resources
Cyber Security has been an I.T. Industry concern for many years and there are many free and independent resources for information.
- Many Cyber Security polices base themselves on the SANS Institute: 20 Critical Security Controls
- UK Government National Cyber Security Centre: Protect your organisation against cyber attack
- Information Commissioners Office: 12 Steps to Prepare for GDPR
- National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST- US): Cyber Security Framework
- Centre for Internet Security: 20 Critical Security Controls: Actions to protect your organization and data from known cyber attack vectors
- IC2 Design Install Project: 12 Ways to Protect CCTV from Cyber Attack